Passionate about sustainability, but not sure how to turn it into a career?
Find out how your interests can match you up with a suitable job opportunity at the Green Jobs Symposium & Networking 2017.
Green Jobs Symposium & Networking 2017
Wed 8th Nov 2017: 2.00pm – 6.00pm
Location: thebridge – Level 1, The Metro, Ascent, 2 Science Park Drive, Singapore 118222
(Nearest MRT station: Kent Ridge)
Attire: Smart Casual.
Register here: bit.ly/gjs2017 – you will have to register with your NRIC/FIN and you will receive an infopack to prepare you for questions.
“A sustainable economy, a sustainable living environment, sustainable development for the people and international collaborations are the 4 key pillars to Singapore’s journey towards shaping a sustainable future. Discover the opportunities from within and let Green Jobs Symposium & Networking 2017 provide an inside glimpse to the industry trends. Organised by Young NTUC, BCA, EDB and NEA, the symposium is held in conjunction with Clean and Green Singapore 2017.”
You’ll get the chance to speak to representatives from companies in energy, building, environmental and other professional services.
Plus, check out career and internship opportunities that will open doors to fulfilling careers!
Head over to register now: bit.ly/gjs2017
Ridge View Residential College at NUS is seeking to appoint two Educator-track Lecturers who would be able to adopt an integrated, interdisciplinary approach in curriculum development and enjoy an experiential learning approach and close mentoring of students.
Lecturers will be employed as full-time RVRC faculty and appointments commence on Jan 2018 (Semester 2 of AY 2017/18).
Details at the RVRC Webpage.
If your search for free pdfs from Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum’s publications have been stymied due to invalid links, fear not – the volumes are all still online with the same filenames.
The reason for the 404 error reports? The website has been upgraded (cue gnashing teeth).
Well, this just means editing the URL to account for the new directory path: app/uploads/4 digit year/2 digit month. If you remember to insert “app/uploads” after the root URL, you can ientify the year but will have to guess the month.
Raffles Bulletin of Zoology
- Old URL – https://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/nus/images/data/raffles_bulletin_of_zoology/vol64/64rbz127-138.pdf
- New URL – http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/app/uploads/2017/06/64rbz127-138.pdf
Nature in Singapore
- Old URL – https://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/nus/images/pdfs/nis/2015/2015nis053-056.pdf
- New URL – http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/app/uploads/2017/06/2015nis031-035.pdf
Singapore Biodiversity Records
- Old URL – http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/nus/images/pdfs/sbr/2017/sbr2017-025-026.pdf
- New URL – http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/app/uploads/2017/04/sbr2017-025-026.pdf
You can visit the individual “volumes” pages for the publications, and navigate from there (remember to apply year filter:
- Raffles Bulletin of Zoology: http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/publications/raffles-bulletin-of-zoology/volumes/
- Nature in Singapore (don’t miss the subtle “Filter by years” in the blue row): http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/publications/nature-in-singapore/volumes/
- Singapore Biodiversity Records (don’t miss the subtle “Filter by years” in the blue row): http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/publications/sg-biodiversity-records/volumes/
Google really scared us when it announced it was retiring the Google Drive desktop app. Many did not see the original announcement but the many headlines by tech sites which more dramatically suggested that “Google Drive dies!”
Even I blinked when I encountered that with sleepy eyes, so I shared the tweet, asked the question in my mac meetup LINE chat and left for class. When I checked my Facebook thread for responses later, a few friends were upset – was this yet another service which had collapsed?
As it turns out, most friends are not sync-ing files to desktop but only using Google Drive on the cloud. Really then, all of us could have simply ignored this announcement, which Gizmodo explains was really meant to “move enterprise users over to the new Drive File Stream app”.
- Google Drive on desktop (for those who used this) – retires by March 2018; can be replaced by “Backup and Sync“
- Google Drive mobile (iOS and Android) – unaffected
- Google Drive (on cloud – unaffected
I wonder how Google Backup and Sync will affect the Singapore-based company Insynchq, which has provided a Google Drive client for file backup all these years.
OCBCcares Fund for the Environment is inviting project proposals for their grant call with a deadline in November 2017. This is a competitive grant so proposals need to be clearly and effectively crafted. To prepare applicants, a training workshop is offered on Thu 24 Aug 2017: 4pm – 7pm.
Dr Jane Goodall is visiting Singapore, 6th – 8th Aug 2017 and theme for her visit is “Living in Harmony with Nature & Wildlife”.
The following public events are hosted by the Jane Goodall Institute of Singapore.
- Public talk, “One Nature, Together: Conversations with Dr. Jane Goodall” [http://www.sistic.com.sg/events/cnature0817]
- Dinner, “Living in Harmony: A Night of Inspiration with Dr. Jane Goodall” [http://janeinsg.peatix.com]
- Root & Shoots Conference (closed already), “Youth Environmental Stewardship for a Sustainable Future”
Introduction of invasive alien species (IAS) resulting from anthropogenic removal or bypassing of natural dispersal barriers is a global issue with far-reaching environmental, economic, and human health impacts. In aquatic environments, the frequency and extent of IAS introduction and establishment can often be exacerbated by the intensification of socio-economic activities, particularly introduction pathways that are associated with international trade.
The Aquatic Invasive Alien Species in Southeast Asia (AIASSEA) 2017 symposium brings together leading international and regional researchers with the overall goal of disseminating and sharing current knowledge, ongoing research, and expertise on aquatic invasive alien species in Southeast Asia.
This symposium is open to public, and is free. Read more and register here.