Dan Rittschof has had a long association with Singapore and NUS, dating back to the early 90’s. I first met him at a seminar in which he talked about the hundreds of fiddler crabs in the inter-tidal habitats at North Carolina.
Amongst his many activities is an annual field trip with the small Urban Ecology class from Duke University. Each year I take the students to the mangrove at night in a conspirational exercise with Dan. The experience provides a dramatic contrast to the things the students have seen in the rest of Singapore. It has always been fruitful, as was last night.
Here is a roundup of most of the blog posts. We might need this for something later on. My favourite is “Bucket Boy.”
Duke University: Department of Biology: Graduate Level Biology Course 216. Sojourn in Singapore: Urban Tropical Ecology. The mix of human ecology, tropical diversity, disturbed habitats and invasive species in Singapore. How Singapore maintains and enhances the quality of life of its citizens while radically modifying its environment. Research on politics, management or biology. Travel to Singapore required. Taught in Beaufort. Consent of instructor required. Instructor: Dan Rittschof. 3 units.
- “Mandai Mangroves with Dan Rittschof’s Urban Ecology class,” by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 21 Mar 2008.
- “Singapore,” by Stan Rule, M.D. Mar 2008.
- “MacRitchie to Bukit Timah today,” by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 18 Feb 2007.
- “Sisters with Dan & Gang,” by tidechaser. tHE tiDE cHAsER, 21 Feb 2007.
- “Sisters Island with Dr Dan,” by Ria Tan. Wildfilms, 20 Feb 2007.
- “Trip to Big Sisters,” by Siyang. Urban Forest, 20 Feb 2007.
- “Soujourn to Singapore and MORE.” Blog by Ais Kachang or “the Gang” (Duke students), Feb – Apr, 2007.
- “Dr Dan in Singapore.” By Dan Rittschof, Feb-Mar 2007.
- “Mandai mangroves,” by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 04 Mar 2006.
- “Selatium brocki eating a caterpillar,” by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 04 Mar 2006.
- “More than 100 horsehoe crabs rescued from gill net at Mandai,” by N. Sivasothi. Habitatnews, 13 Mar 2005.
- “A day out at Kusu Island (1 March 2006),” by Loh Tse Lynn. Blue Water Volunteers, 04 Apr 2006.
- “Bucket Boy,” by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 13 Mar 2005.
- “Talking to Duke students,” by N. Sivasothi. Raffles Museum news, 17 Mar 2005.
- “CJ with Prof Dan…Dr. Dan!” By Ria Tan, 15 Mar 2005.