Before a bicycle ride, I conduct a simple check and make preparations the night before to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride. Here are some notes here which I’ll post on a page in the cycling blog later.
- Lights: rear and front, working, correct number, clear of debris.
- Speedometer, handphone, borrowed iPhone in waterproofing for runkeeper.
- Brake pads clean and functioning.
- Wheels: tyres inflated, rims clean, no oil, turning okay.
- All cables, brake and gears: clean, oiled, tension adequate.
- Saddle, correct one for ride, adjusted, tightened.
- Gears and chain: wipe down, clean, oiled.
- Water bottles, filled.
- Helmet, no cracks, no strap entanglement.
- Helmet rear light working, bright enough.
- Gloves, socks, shoes.
- Reflective ankle bands.
- Jersey with cash and cards in rear pockets.
- Shorts with keys in zipped pocket.
- Clear glasses, sun glasses: washed and antifog applied.
- Spare inner tube, powdered, in ziploc
- Tyre puncture repair kit complete, adequate condition.
- Alan key toolkit.
- Sunblock, Brave Soldier.
- Bandana and arm-warmers.
- Crank Brothers pump.
- Saddle cover.
- First aid kit.
This is about it and is best done the night before with a clear head. It usually takes about 10mins when I am cycling regularly as maintenance would be fine, the saddle bag up to date, leaving just a few items to be set aside.