There are thousands of abandoned animals and strays which need a home. Buying a pedigree animal these days means supporting horrific puppy mills, resulting in senseless abuse and suffering.
The Sunday Times ran an adoption story today [pdf] and listed these as sources below for adoptions. The process is an engagement as they’ll need to verify you’re ready to adopt.
- ACTION FOR SINGAPORE DOGS – More than 100 dogs of various breeds, from mongrels to crossbreeds and pedigrees. Tel: 6100-2737. http://www.asdsingapore.com
- ANIMAL LOVERS LEAGUE – 50 dogs, mainly mongrels. About 10 per cent are purebred dogs such as pomeranians and shih tzus. Tel: 9793-7162. Pets Villa, 61 Pasir Ris Farmway 3. http:// www.animalloversleague.com
- CAT WELFARE SOCIETY – An open adoption board where members of the public can post up cats for adoption. There are four to eight adoption posts a day. E-mail: email@example.com; mailing address: Orchard Road PO Box 65, Singapore 912303. http://www.catwelfare.org
- GENTLE PAWS AND FRIENDS – 35 dogs of various breeds – mongrels, crossbreeds and a purebred English cocker spaniel. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, 6 Pasir Ris Farmway 2. http://gentlepaws2010.blogspot.com
- SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS – Currently more than 60 dogs, cats, rabbits and hamsters. Mixture of crossbreeds and pedigrees. Tel: 6287-5355 ext 24, 31 Mount Vernon Road S(368054). http://www.spca.org.sg
Mr Bats, b. Dec 2003 (estim.), found at Geylang Bahru.
Family friend since 21 Feb 2004, via Cat Welfare Society.