News from the Land Transport Authority (LTA):
LTA says the rail network will double from 178km to 360 km by 2030, putting some 80% of households within a 10-minute walk of a rail station. This will be achieved by two new rail lines and three new extensions, all part of the the Land Transport Masterplan 2013.
- The new 50-km Cross Island Line (CRL): this major new MRT line will start from Changi and run through Loyang, Pasir Ris, Hougang, Ang Mo Kio and Sin Ming, before heading to Bukit Timah, Clementi, West Coast to terminate at Jurong Industrial Estate.
- 20km more of Jurong Region Line (JRL) is expected to be ready by 2025, connects Choa Chu Kang, Boon Lay, the potential Tengah New Town with Jurong West, Jurong Industrial estate and the future Jurong Gateway.
Three new extensions
- Circle Line Stage 6 (CCL6) will ‘close the circle’ by connecting HarbourFront station to Marina Bay station.
- The North East Line will be extended to Punggol North by 2030, including the new Punggol Downtown.
- The Downtown Line will be extended to the Eastern Region Line by 2025.
- LTA is studying the possibility of adding an additional station between Yishun and Sembawang stations, on the North-South Line.
See: “S’pore to have two new MRT lines by 2030,” by Hetty Musfirah. Channel News Asia, 17 Jan 2013.