From: “How to burn OS X Yosemite to a usb flash drive,” by Whitson Gordon. Lifehacker Australia, 17 Oct 2014.
- Download the Yosemite installer [App Store]
- Plug in a >= 8GB (or larger) flash drive
- Format as an OS X Extended (Journaled disk) and name it “Yosemite”[use Disk Utility]
- Paste this command into Terminal window:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Yosemite –applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app –nointeraction
- Enter your password as prompted
It may take 10 minutes or more.