I’ve been blogging since August 2003, and this wordpress blog took over a previous blog in January 2008. I started several blogs, a couple with collaborators, for specific purposes and encouraged friends and my students to do the same for their projects.
- Aug 2003 – Otterman speaks…, 2003-2007, oldblog.sivasothi.com
- Feb 2004 – Habitatnews, habitatnews.nus.edu.sg
- May 2004 – Toddycats, toddycats.wordpress.com (originally on blogspot)
- May 2004 – The Biology Refugia, biologyrefugia.blogspot.com (with Brandon Seah, Adrian Loo, Lim Cheng Puay & Huang Danwei
- Jun 2004 – Raffles Museum News, 2004 – 2007, http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/news/
- Aug 2004 – Cycling in Singapore, cyclinginsingapore.blogspot.com (with Chu Wa and Paul Barter)
- Jun 2005 – ME@N’s Mac Meetup Singapore, macmeetupsg.blogspot.com
- Dec 2006 – Aboard the Götheborg, Dec 2006 – Jan 2007, gotheborg.wordpress.com
- Feb 2007 – http://nusbiodiversity.wordpress.com
- Sep 2007 – News from the International Coastal Cleanup Singapore, coastalcleanup.wordpress.com (with Zone Captains)
Activists blogs I helped
There are few blogs beyond those of my students whom I managed to encourage into reality. When it did happen, they lasted!
- Pulau Hantu Bloggers, since Mar 2004 now at pulauhantu.org
- Bird Ecology Study Group, since Jul 2005 now at besgroup.org
Friends I strong armed into blogging because they have interesting stories to share.
- Adrian Loo @ lekowala!, lekowala.wordpress.com, since Dec 2003
- Alvin’s spiel, alvinrobina.blogspot.sg, since Jan 2004
- Lim Cheng Puay @ Inertia is a Sin, chengpuay.wordpress.com, since Jun 2005
Started in support of their zoology projects (links in the sidebar of this blog)
- 2004 – “Horseshoe Crabs of Kranji,” by Fiona Hong
- 2004 – “Mangrove shrimps of Kranji,” by Teo Yen Ling
- 2007 – “Raffles Museum Internship” by Ong Ruo Yu & Ho Danliang
- 2007/8 – “Johora singaporensis” by Daniel Ng (locked)
- 2007/8-“Chek Jawa Mortality & Recruitment” by Loh Kok Sheng
- 2008 – “Biodiversity of insects in Kent Ridge” by Audrey Wong
- 2008 – “The pursuit of Anurans” by Alicia Tan
- 2008 – “Fauna of Kent Ridge” by Theresa Su
- 2010 – “The Borg’s Hideout” by Venus Tan & Su Thiri Tun
- 2010 – “Wildlife in my backyard” by Amanda Tan
- 2011 – “Life of a Common Pam Civet” by Xu Weiting and Fung Tze Kwan
- 2012 – “Through The Eyes Of The Leopard Cat” by Marcus Chua
- 2013 – “The Living Fossil” by Germaine Leng
NUS module blogs
These were started on the NUS blogs portal to highlight relevant articles and other information I encountered on a weekly basis and did not involve participation. I eventually switched to Facebook which they are more highly engaged in. In the end I realised for my simple purposes, pushing the few but highly relevant articles to them by email was a more effective method. These blogs were stripped of their content and put to rest.
- LSM1303 Animal Behaviour, 2008-2010, now hosts the symposium programme
- LSM1103 Biodiversity, 2008
- LSM3251 Ecology and the Environment, 2008
- LSM3261 Life Form and Function, 2008
Having initiated individual students, it was time for a class to try. In 2008, I began with the LSM1303 Animal Behaviour class (about 200 students) in 2008 and it worked well so it still continues (seventh year in 2014). I also tried it for a few semesters with the LSM2251 Ecology and the Environment class (also about 200 students) in 2010 and 2011.
- 2008 – present, “Learning about Animal Behaviour”
- 2010 -“Ecological observations in Singapore”
What did I learn from all this?
Shared during seminars organised by the Centre of Instructional Technology, NUS