Communication, research, education and management with otters
Otter pages and groups
- 2016 – Otter Working Group Singapore (OWG), which is composed of ACRES, NParks, NUS, PA Passion Wave, PUB, OtterWatch, OtterCity, Wildlife Reserves Singapore
- 2010 – Otterwatch (Facebook) – http://fb.com/otterwatch
- 2009 – Mammal Records Singapore webpage – http://mammal.sivasothi.com
- 1997 – IUCN/SSC Otter Specialist Group http://www.otterspecialistgroup.org
Media – Articles with a holistic perspective
- “Singapore is role model for how otters and people can co-exist: International expert,” by Toh Ting Wei. The Straits Times, 22 Sep 2018 (Interview with IUCN/SSC Otter Specialist Group Chair Dr Nicole Duplaix) [link].
- “A tale of two otters: settling in Singapore, suffering in China,” by Joshua Parfitt. Mongabay, 07 Feb 2018 [link]
- “Can Singapore’s growing otter population continue to thrive in an urban landscape?” By Monica Kotwani, Channel News Asia, 02 Jul 2017. [link]
- “New litter of pups in Bishan otter family brings total number of otters in Singapore to over 60” by Lydia Lam. The Straits Times, 28 Nov 2017. [link]
- “Move over, Merlion.” The Economist, 25 Aug 2016 [link]
- “Mad about otters: Enthusiasts look out for charming animals,” by Lea Wee. The Straits Times, 24 Jul 2016. A community of enthusiasts look out for, and watch over, the charming animals. [link]
Greening (and blueing) of Singapore – holistic aspects for the return of the otters to Singapore):
- “Lee Kuan Yew: The man who guided Singapore from slum to eco-city,” by Jessica Cheam. Eco-business, 25 March 2015 [link]
- “The cleaning up of Singapore River and Kallang Basin (1977-1987),” blog post, 23 Sep 2012. [link]
Celebratory videos with story summaries
- Singapore 50th National Day (by Jeff Teo et al) [link]
- Singapore 51st National Day (by Jeff Teo) [link] [coverage in The Straits Times]
Video stories of Otter Working Group projects
- “Going Home” – return of otter cub Toby to his Marina family (video by Fast Snail aka Chun Kit Soo [link]
- “Free Aquarius” – capture, treatment and release of a young otter with a constricting “O-ring” around its body. (Video produced by Jeffrey Teo et al.) [link and The Straits Times article]
- Map of Singapore with main populations identified in Otter of Singapore (2015) [link]
- Otter Watch Singapore fb page – reports of otters in Singapore [link]
- Otter City Singapore – reports by citizen-otterwatchers who track populations of otters [link]
- Videos by Fast Snail aka Chun Kit Soo chronicling smooth-coated otter behaviour [link]
- Advisory on smooth-coated otters in Singapore [NParks]
- “Otters of Singapore,” by N. Sivasothi, 08 May 2020. #SGSTEM2 [link]
- “The Otter Side of the Singaproe Botanic Gardens,” by Anusha Shivram, 05 Jun 2020.
- “The Otter Occupants of an Oil Palm Dominated Landscape,” by Annable Pianzin, 11 Jul 2020.
- “Kuala Selangor Nature Park: Tales of a Previous Wetland Refugia for Otters,” by Woo Chee Yoong, 04 Sep 2020.
The COVID-19 Kerfluffle
- 26 Apr 2020 – “Otters play in streets as they look for new home,” by Vanessa Liu. The Straits Times [link]
- 18 May 2020 – “No, Singapore isn’t being overrun by otters: ‘Otterman’ biologist,” by Carolyn Teo. Coconuts Singapore. [link]
- 18 May 2020 – “No otter slaughter, Singapore’s animal lovers tell the haters.” Coconuts Singapore. [link]
- [Facebook Live/Radio] 18 May 2020 – One Radio 91.3FM with FD & Glenn – cull the otter! [link; watch from 27:00, 17 mins]
- [Facebook Live/Radio] 19 May 2020 – One Radio 91.3FM – Otterman speaks with FD & Glenn [link; 48:30 mins]
- 23 May 2020 – “In pictures: Nature is thriving in locked-down Singapore—is it time to rethink the city in a garden?” By Robin Hicks. Eco-Business [link]
- [Radio] 23 May 2020 – Money FM 89.3 – Glenn van Zutphen & Neil Humphreys speak with Otterman [link; 18:29 mins]
- [Facebook Live] 27 May 2020 – Mothership.sg – with Yeo Tsiu Wen & Zheng Zhangxin on Facebook Livestream [link], World Otter Day
- 30 May 2020 – “Otters being spotted on Singapore’s empty streets during COVID-19 lockdown,” By AFP. [link]
Otter Meetings & Workshops organised
Workshops for members of public
- 19 Oct 2019 – 2nd OWG Workshop for otter-watching community in Singapore
- 15 May 2019 – OWG EDU workshop for FOB volunteers
- 29 Jul 2017 – 1st OWG Workshop for the otter-watching community in Singapore
Scientific meetings, for the IUCN/SSC Otter Specialist Group
With funding from Wildlife Reserves Singapore
- 14th International Otter Congress, Tangjiahe, 8th – 13th April 2019
- IUCN/SSC Otter Specialist Group Southeast Asia members review of the Global Otter Conservation Strategy, Singapore 9 – 12 Sep 2018
- 13th International Otter Congress, Singapore, 3rd – 8th July 2016.
- Khoo, Max De Yuan & N. Sivasothi (2018). Population structure, distribution, and habitat use of Smooth-coated otters Lutrogale perspicillata in Singapore. IUCN Otter Spec. Group Bull, 35(3), 171-182. [llink]
- Khoo, Max De Yuan & N. Sivasothi (2018). Observations of the variation in group structure of two urban smooth-coated otter Lutrogale perspicillata groups in the central watershed of Singapore. IUCN Otter Spec. Group Bull, 35(3), 148 – 154. [link]
- Theng, M. & N. Sivasothi (2016). The smooth-coated otter Lutrogale perspicillata (Mammalia: Mustelidae) in Singapore: Establishment and expansion in natural and semi-urban environments. IUCN Otter Spec. Group Bull, 33(1), 37-49. [link]
- Theng, M., H. H. Tan, & N. Sivasothi (2016). Diet of the smooth-coated otter Lutrogale perspicillata (Geoffroy, 1826) at natural and modified sites in Singapore. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 64: 290¿301. [link]
- Sivasothi, N., & Nor, B. H. M. (1994). A review of otters (Carnivora: Mustelidae: Lutrinae) in Malaysia and Singapore. In Ecology and Conservation of Southeast Asian Marine and Freshwater Environments including Wetlands (pp. 151-170). Springer, Dordrecht. [link]
- Sivasothi N., Meryl Theng, Max Khoo & Tina Liow, 2019. The return of the smooth-coated otter to Singapore: distribution, growth, public perception and conservation management. 14th International Otter Congress, IUCN-SSC Otter Specialist Group, Tangjiahe, 8th – 13th April 2019.
- Khoo, Max, Li Tianjiao, Rekha Mohan, Jeffery Teo, N. Sivasothi & Adrian Loo, 2019. Management of Human-Otter interactions in urban environments in Singapore. 14th International Otter Congress, IUCN-SSC Otter Specialist Group, Tangjiahe, 8th – 13th April 2019.
- Sivasothi N., Meryl Theng & Max Khoo, 2017. The return of the smooth-coated otter to Singapore: distribution, growth, public perception and conservation management. Asian Wetlands Symposium, 7 – 11 Nov 2017, Saga, Japan.
- Sivasothi, N., 2016. Evolution of the Otter Working Group in Singapore following the establishment and radiation of the Smooth -coated otter (Lutrogale perspicillata) in Singapore. 13th International Otter Congress: Otters & People. IUCN-SSC Otter Specialist Group. 3rd-8th July 2016, Singapore.
- Khoo, M. D. Y. & N. Sivasothi, 2016. Home range and diurnal activity pattern of two family groups of Lutrogale perspicillata (Geoffroy, 1826) along the Kallang River, Singapore. 13th International Otter Congress: Otters & People. IUCN-SSC Otter Specialist Group. 3rd-8th July 2016, Singapore.
- 2011 Theng Tze Yin Meryl [3rd year UROPS LSM3289] – Status, Distribution and Diet of the Smooth-coated Otter Lutrogale perspicillata (Geoffroy, 1826) in Singapore.
- 2012 Meryl Theng U085466U [Honours year] – Autecology of the Smooth-coated Otter Lutrogale perspicillata (Geoffroy, 1826) along the Johor Straits, Singapore.
- 2016 Max Khoo De Yuan [3rd year UROPS LSM3288] – Home range and diurnal activity pattern of two family groups of Lutrogale perspicillata (Geoffroy,1826) along the Kallang River.
- 2017 Max_Khoo_De_Yuan [Honours year] – The population status of smooth-coated otters (Lutrogale perspicillata) in Singapore.
- 2017 Lau Jun Jie [Honours year] – Behavioural traits and vocalisations of a family of smooth-coated otters Lutrogale perspicillata (Geoffroy, 1826) in the urban environment of Singapore.
- 2017 Lim Wei Zhi [2nd year UROPS LSM2289] – Changes in home ranges and activity budget of Lutrogale perspicillata during litter growth and territorial dispute.
- 2019 Liow Jia Zhen Tina [Honours year] – Home range, activity pattern, and feeding ecology of pre-natal and post-natal smooth-coated otter families (Lutrogale perspicillata) in Singapore.
- 2020 Anusha Shivram [3rd year UROPS LSM3288] – Habitat Use and Home Range Extension by a Smooth-Coated Otter (Lutrogale Perspicillata) family in the Singapore Botanic Gardens, with Observations of Pup and Parental Care Behaviours.