I am fascinated by how a blog can be a personal notice board to the world. I am able to communicate, remember, highlight, enthuse and spread some cheer.
I've been writing publicly since 1998 with mailing lists, and in 2003 finally began a personal blog which moved to this WordPress site in 2007. For specific themes, I have a few other blogs on various platforms.
After more than a decade, I am surprised how I still struggle with writing! Or finding the time to mention the memorable things which go on. So twitter has helped out since 2007, and it's stream appears on the sidebar. And along came Facebook, which the Swedes on the Götheborg introduced me to in 2006.
You can contact me at email@example.com
My official links
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Biological Sciences, NUS [link]
- Research Associate, Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum (formerly Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research), NUS [link]
- Director of Studies, Ridge View Residential College, NUS [link]
- Coordinator, NUS Toddycats [link]
- Coordinator, International Coastal Cleanup Singapore [link]
- Staff Advisor, NUS PEACE [link]
- 2017 – Wild Boar Working Group
- 2017 – Long-tailed Macaque Working Group
- 2017 – Friends of Marine Park
- 2017 – Biodiversity Friends Forum (under Biodiversity Roundtable
- 2016 – Friends of Chestnut Nature Park
- 2016 – Banded Leaf Monkey Working Group Singapore
- 2016 – Otter Working Group Singapore
- 2015 – Civet Working Group, now Urban Wildlife Working Group (2017)
- 2014 – Friends of Pulau Ubin
- 2014 – Freshwater Crab Working Group Singapore
- 2012 – Nature Reserves Scientific Advisory Committee
- 2012 – Biodiversity Roundtable of Singapore
- 2006 – Marine Turtle Working Group Singapore
- IUCN-SSC Otter Specialist Group (1990's–) [link]
I list a feature about my environmental work from 2011 and several older blog posts penned by my naturalist-on-a-mission kaki Ria Tan and my blogging trinity friends; all are obviously kind accounts and a heart-warming read when I need encouragement. Below those are two interviews by fellow mac addicts, part of a community who have helped each other and encourage each others interests.
- Siva and the best of biodiversity blogs," by Ria Tan. Wild Shores Singapore, 20 August 2010 [link]
- “theorycast.21 :: How Do You Blog? (for ubergeeks only),” by Kevin Lim. theory.isthereason.com, 9th May 2007 [link]
- “The Otterman speaks at the library: Tales of the Thunder Crab and other secret stories of Singapore’s wildlife,” by Ivan Chew. Rambling Librarian, 16 Jul 2006 [link].
- “Wild Lives: Siva.” by Ria Tan. WildSingapore, 2004. [link]
- “It’s Not Just Us Living Here” Happy Hands, the quarterly MND newsletter no. 14 (Jan-Mar 2017). [link]
- “Sivasothi #FF,” by John Larkin (Friday Follow Interviews). John Larkin, 16 Apr 2011. [link]
- It’s not just us living here N Sivasothi, eco-warrior," by Tan Weizhen. Today, 09 Aug 2011 [link]
- “MacSingaporean – N. Sivasothi a.k.a. Otterman.” MacSingapore, 17 July 2002 [edited version appeared in MacSingapore, Aug 2002. [link]
I’m a dog person. Then they came. I wish they could all be just as safe.